An openly gay preacher in Austin, Tex. ordered a cake from Whole Foods, but upon returning to his car, was shocked to see what was written on the dessert.
Pastor Jordan Brown asked that the cake read “Love Wins,” but allegedly received a confection reading “Love Wins F-g.” An upset Brown took to YouTube to speak on the unsettling incident and show off the still-sealed cake.
Brown, founder of the Church of Open Doors, has since filed a discrimination lawsuit against Whole Foods. The company, however, claims their employee didn’t write the slur.
“The team member wrote ‘Love Wins’ at the top of the cake as requested by the guest and that’s exactly how the cake was packaged and sold at the store. Our team members do not accept or design bakery orders that include language or images that are offensive. Whole Foods Market has a zero tolerance policy for discrimination,” the company said in a statement to the NY Daily News.
In the YouTube video posted to the law firm representing Brown, the pastor said a store manager initially apologized over the phone, offered him a new cake, and a gift card. However, two hours later, the manager retracted the offer, saying the store concluded none of its employees did anything wrong.
Via the Daily News:
Brown’s lawyer called the statement “outrageous.”
“My client doesn’t have blue icing in his house. This is not a hoax. He received the cake this way, and Whole Foods’ response doesn’t help us,” lawyer Austin Kaplan told The News.
Watch Brown’s shocking revelation up top.
SOURCE: NY Daily News | VIDEO SOURCE: YouTube | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty, Twitter
Pride, No Prejudice! The Best Pride Parade Pictures To Celebrate The LGBT Community (PHOTOS)
1. The cast of "Orange is the New Black" brings Litchfield to the NYC Pride parade.1 of 16
2. Laverne Cox makes her way through the Pride parade in NYC.Source:Getty 2 of 16
3. Cher performs at the 26th annual Dance On The Pier concert in NYC.3 of 16
4. Demi Lovato performs at the 26th annual Dance On The Pier concert in NYC.4 of 16
5. NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio walks the lavender line in the Pride parade.Source:Getty 5 of 16
6. Parade-goers stop to take an 'usie' in San Francisco.6 of 16
7. Pride parade winds through the streets of NYC.7 of 16
8. Pride parade winds through the streets of NYC.8 of 16
9. Pride parade winds through the streets of NYC.9 of 16
10. Pride parade winds through the streets of NYC.Source:Getty 10 of 16
11. Pride parade winds through the streets of NYC.11 of 16
12. Pride parade winds through the streets of San Francisco.Source:Getty 12 of 16
13. Pride parade winds through the streets of San Francisco.Source:Getty 13 of 16
14. Pride parade winds through the streets of San Francisco.14 of 16
15. Pride parade winds through the streets of NYC.Source:Getty 15 of 16
16. Pride parade winds through the streets of San Francisco.16 of 16
Gay Pastor Sues Whole Foods For Allegedly Selling Cake Featuring Homophobic Slur was originally published on globalgrind.com