President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama are the epitome of Black love. In a sit-down interview with Misty Copeland for TIME, the POTUS praises the beautiful and talented ballerina for being a strong woman and good role model for his daughters.
“As the father of two daughters, one of the things I’m always looking for are strong women who are out there who are breaking barriers and doing great stuff,” he said. “And Misty’s a great example of that.”
Touching on the pressure young African American women face to be “cute,” the proud dad explained,
“Malia will talk about black girls’ hair and will have much opinions of that and she’s pretty opinionated about the fact that it costs a lot, it takes a long time, that sometimes girls can be just as tough on each other about how they’re supposed to look.”
Praising his wife, he explained how it’s empowering it is for Sasha and Malia to see his appreciation of Michelle Obama’s curves:
I mean some of this is just gender issues, generally. I mean when you’re a dad of two daughters you notice more. When I was a kid I didn’t realize as much, or maybe it was even a part of which is the enormous pressure that young women are placed under in terms of looking a certain way. And being cute in a certain way. And are you wearing the right clothes? And is your hair done the right way. And that pressure I think is historically always been harder on African American women than just about any other women.
But it’s part and parcel of a broader way in which we socialize and press women to constantly doubt themselves or define themselves in terms of a certain appearance. And so Michelle and I are always guarding against that. And the fact that they’ve got a tall gorgeous mom who has some curves, and that their father appreciates, I think is helpful.
I do think that culture’s changing for the younger generation a little bit more. You see Beyonce or you see some of these pop stars and what both white, Latino, black children are seeing as representative of beauty is much broader than it was when I was a kid. You just didn’t see that much representation. And that’s healthy and that’s encouraging. But it’s still a challenge.
Sigh. What are we going to do when they Obama are out of office.
Watch the full interview below:
The Obamas Slay At The State Dinner
1. Barack & Michelle Obama posing with the Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, Sophie Gregoire TrudeauSource:Getty 1 of 12
2. Our Fly POTUS and Canadian Prime Minster Gaze At Their Beautiful WivesSource:Getty 2 of 12
3. Barack & Michelle Arrive At The State DinnerSource:Getty 3 of 12
4. Michelle Obama Slays In A Custom Jason WuSource:Getty 4 of 12
5. Sasha Obama Serving In Naeem Khan Resort 2016 collectionSource:Getty 5 of 12
6. Sasha Obama Dress Cost $20KSource:Getty 6 of 12
7. Malia Stunned In Naeem Khan Pre-Fall 2015 CollectionSource:Getty 7 of 12
8. Malia's Dress Cost $18KSource:Getty 8 of 12
9. President Obama Looked Incredibly HandsomeSource:Getty 9 of 12
10. Grant Hill & Tamia Looked GorgeousSource:Getty 10 of 12
11. Grant Hill & TamiaSource:Getty 11 of 12
12. Ryan Reynonds & Blake Lively Look AmazeSource:Getty 12 of 12
President Obama Revels In The Glory Of First Lady Michelle Obama’s Curves was originally published on hellobeautiful.com